GetAround is an online peer-to-peer car sharing company that provides rental services. The company allows people to rent a car from private car owners and owners earn money by listing their car. Launched in 2011, the company is relativity new to the market with its headquarters situated in San Francisco, CA. This unique car service allows the owners of the cars to set their own listing prices with whatever they are comfortable with. Since the company is relativity new, the rental service is available only for 6 cities, namely San Francisco Bay area, Chicago, Austin, Portland, Washington and San Diego.
HOW DOES IT WORK
Getaround car service is unique because once you list your car to be rented it will not be the property of the company rather, the car will remain in your own control and you can set the limits on how it is to be used. The owner can decide when and where to use their car and where to drop it off. The service is convenient for the owner also because whenever your car isn’t being used by you, it can be unlocked by the company for rent, so this avoids the whole business of hassle. To list your car online, here are the following steps:
- Get started by clicking on List your Car and begin the sign up process.
- The next step is to list your car by providing basic details.
- Once that is done, now its time to take pictures of your car and provide details for the renters to see.
- After the car profile is completed, set location and availability of your car. This is to let the renters know where to pick up the car and where to drop it and set a schedule for when to not use the car.
- And finally set the payment details.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE RENTING
The sign up process seems easy enough, but before renting out your car here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- If you list your car for renting, you will be required to install a GPS and Wi-Fi enabling device.
- The company provides liability, collision and comprehensive insurance for the owners. The car is insured up to $1,000,000.
- The owner of the car sets the price for its rental, but keep in mind the company gets 40% commission.
- You car should be of 2000 or above model to be listed on the website.
- The renter is responsible for the fuel. They are expected to return the car with the same amount of fuel since the renal time.
- Owners can set their own rate, but at the time of listing, Getaround team will set your first rate. You can change it once the car is in use.
- And finally list your car at your own risk, as small scratches to the vehicle after rental is sometimes hard to prove to the company and may not go in your favor.
HOW DOES GETAROUND PAY
The company pays its car owners on a monthly basis, that is on the 15th of each month. The owners can get paid through two options i-e PayPal and Check. According to the company, car owners can earn up to $75 -$200 a month. The prices for rental are set by the car owners, and the company get 40% commission from it.
IS YOUR CAR ELIGIBLE?
Check the following to know if your car is eligible for listing or not.
- You car should be of model 2000 or above.
- The car mileage should be under 125,000 miles.
- Availability of the car should be 50% on weekends.
- And since owners set their own renal prices, the company restricts them to increasing price no more than 10% of the recommended price rate. This rate can be checked by logging into you account in the dashboard settings.
Having reviewed this website and responses, we conclude the company to be a legit source of earning. However, the company is still new and is in the ongoing process of improvement. There are both advantages and disadvantages of listing your personal car but that’s up to the owner on how he/she weights their options. There have been some complaints by the owners about their car getting scratched up after renting, but GetAround says that it will improve its process and try to facilitate the owners in a much better way. If you have any experiences regarding this company do share in the comments section below.